Tuesday, April 26, 2011

We Choose Life!

A lot of people are confused at why we would choose to adopt. Actually, after seeing all the need I am dismayed that we, and others, haven't done it sooner.  Neither Keith nor I have been very good at sitting on the sidelines. I guess that is why I will be helping to coach Zack's baseball team again this year.  It is also why Keith is coaching Track for the 24th year.

Sure, we could be "empty nesters" in 6 short years, however giving new life to a forgotten boy has much more appeal. Each one of our children also has a lot to give a new brother. As soon as we showed the picture to them they all said, "Are we keeping him? Really, Is he our brother?" They soon started doing little things to get ready. Like making space in their rooms and starting a jar to collect change and tips from their jobs.  Each one also has graciously volunteered to travel to China with us. :)

I stood at my son's basketball practice in January marveling at how our friend's daughter, who has only been home for a year, has become such an amazing little lady.  I said whimsically,"If only we could afford adopting..." I was told, very softly and gently, "You never really afford it. You just do."

So why not adopt? What else should we "do" in our 40's?? I could buy a kindle and read books. I could buy an IPAD and do a lot of things. We could pay off all our debts instead of spending money to adopt. We could travel to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary. We could go to London for the Olympics.  For us we need to do more. We need to do something that will last. We need to honor the life we have been given.

So we decide to give a lovely boy a home. He is described by his caretakers as a "dear delight". A clever and intelligent little man. He is an active and outgoing child and he is delightful.
We choose Life! 

5 comments:

  1. makes me cry........... bring that boy home...
    aunt kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!!! So excited for your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOw! Preach it! That is some deep, good stuff! I'm loving this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would rather have a little brother than see you go to London or Hawaii without me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if I missed it somewhere, how old is the little guy? Excited for you guys, praying that all goes well!
    Cuz Andy

    ReplyDelete